Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Dizzy Dame

Whew! What an exciting time it is at our house! Greg got to take the day of unexpectedly yesterday to stay home and take care of Addie. I was deemed medically unsafe it seems. :)

What happened was that Addie woke me up at 5:30 am on Tuesday to be fed, and when I sat up in bed all of a sudden the room was moving. I woke Greg up and when he tried to help me out of the room and into the hallway, all I could do was fall to the left- no matter how hard I tried to walk straight! I felt as if I'd spun around in circles for a long time, then tried to walk straight (like when you're a kid and you think it's funny- only it wasn't funny this time). After running into the dresser, the chair, another dresser, the door frame, and the shower door, I finally got safely into the chair in Addie's room. Due to the dizziness, I felt REALLY sick and so I nursed Addie with the trash can between my legs so I could throw-up if needed. Greg got me back to bed and took care of Addie, quickly tried to rearrange his work day, and get a doctor appointment ASAP.

I saw an Ear Nose & Throat doctor yesterday and he said good news! It wasn't a stroke or a brain tumor (WHAT?! I said). Just some inner ear problem, most likely stirred up by my recent cold. The problem was that it would probably be sticking around for a few days or even a few weeks. There isn't really any treatment, it will eventually die down and go away on it's own. (it my occur again at some point in the future). Because this had happened before (about 2 years ago), he recommended eventually getting an MRI done of my head (does crazy show up on an MRI?).

He also said I would need help taking care of Addie. Imagine- it isn't safe to hold a baby when you can't walk straight! Greg took the whole day off to take care of us both. The dizziness died down as the day went on and this morning I feel really good. A little tiny bit woozy, but I feel safe taking care of Addie. Thank goodness for good neighbors too- Brooke Kropf, who lives across the walkway, is on call in case I start getting dizzy again or need anything. I'm hoping this is the end of this little episode- it sure isn't my idea of fun!

So we'll try to post some more pictures again soon, but right now I can't aim the camera!

1 comments:

The Spaids said...

Niki- I hope you feel better soon. I've not had the dizzy/leaning thing, but when I was pregnant before I found out I was anemic I did wake up one morning so dizzy I could barely get out of bed. It is such an odd feeling! I'm glad you've got a great husband to take care of you.