Monday, March 26, 2007

Black Monday

Greg named today Black Monday.... let me tell you why.

You read about Addie's doctor appointment this morning. Well, I was pretty exhausted after that. We managed to get through most of the afternoon uneventful, but then I guess the exhaustion caught up with me.

You see, we were outside playing, I was chatting with Brooke and Addie and Grant were playing near each other. Brooke had a cup of tea, and I thought to myself, that would be nice....
So I went in and put the kettle on.

And then I forgot it. Completely forgot it.

About 30-45 minutes later (NO I'M NOT KIDDING) I walked into our apartment and was greeted with thick smoke. After a moment of confusion, it dawned on me. Brooke watched Addie while I ran in to find my kettle disinegrating under the heat. The potholder I used to move the kettle off the burner scorched at the touch of the melting plastic.

THANK GOD that the kettle (or the house) did not catch fire, nor did I ruin the cooking range.

I did, however, melt the thermometer/timer that was nearby (the really nice Williams Sonoma probe thermometer that Greg found for $5 at a garage sale!!!!!) and burn one of my favorite potholders.















Now I must emphatically declare, as I said to Greg later, that I AM NOT this girl! This psycho-scattered-fried-burn-down-the-house-out-of-carelessness-cry-to-the-doctor girl!!! (yes, today I cried at the Pediatrician).

Just after this, and before Greg brought home McDonalds (and flowers) for dinner, I was also fielding phone calls from our pastor, sister Jessie, and later Addie's Gastrointerologist and ENT doctor!

Bless Greg's heart, coming home to a SMELLY house, not only did he bring home dinner and flowers, but he also cleaned up all the mess from the incineration episode. Here he is vacumming the ashes out from under the range top.



















Just so you aren't TOO worried for us, our evening did perk up. After dinner, Addie seemed to be feeling really good- so maybe that shot will do the trick! Greg and I also got to get out of the house tonight (thanks Kropfs for sitting for us!!!) and clear our heads a little. Whew! I think I am ready to face tomorrow, after all- what else could go wrong?

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Poor Niki! And you don't even have a "pregnancy brain" to fall back on as a "good" excuse (right?). :) God is good for providing wonderful husbands and friends!

kimi said...

JEEZ! at least you have running after a kid as an excuse. I could pull this off all on my own. ;) we come from dad, the king of all scatterbrains. ;)