Monday, February 15, 2010

Being a Parent

So.... Greg and I decided this year that we would celebrate Valentine's Day on the night after Valentine's. We figured we didn't want to miss evening church, and everything would be less crowded the day after, and it would be easier to find someone to watch the kids, etc. This was going to be our first date night since Scotty was born. It was just going to be dinner, but we were excited nonetheless. Everything looked great until lunchtime today , when Addie broke out with a raging fever. I called Greg, who was wonderful about it, and then the friends who were going to watch the kids. I was bummed, but we decided to bring Chinese food home instead of going out for it, and just love on our girl.

I thought how funny it was that Addie would come down sick out of the blue, on the one night we were finally going to go out. I thought "That's parenthood for you." Greg and I both decided though, that we would just go another time and reminded ourselves that this was yet another opportunity to show love to our daughter, and model for her compassion and kindness.

Here she is, all pathetic on the couch, fever at 103.
Here is the fortune in my fortune cookie tonight. I got a big kick out of it.





And then, as I was brushing Addie's hair before bed, she looked at me and said "When I'm a grownup, I want to be just like you." After I got my breath, I asked "What do you mean honey?" and she replied, "I want to be a nice Mommy."
What an amazing moment. It put it all in perspective. Yes, being a mommy might include poop and tears and endless laundry, and not going out to dinner alone with your husband for a long time sometimes, but then you have this little person say something so precious, you never want to forget it. And that is the main reason I chose to blog this event, so that next time one of the children gets sick, I can go back and read this. :)

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Mom Linda said...

Poor baby. She's using Grandma MaryLou's quilt! That's got to have some special sweetness attached!

DellaRose said...

*sweet sigh*

cheekypinky said...

aw, niki, what a great moment!

and you are an amazing mama,
really and truly.

http://cheekypinky.wordpress.com/