Monday, June 20, 2011

Central Market

Since our arrival in Texas, I've had a hard time figuring out where to do our grocery shopping. The nearest groceries are at the Super Walmart, which might be fine for a few basics, but the produce stinks and very often they don't carry what I'm looking for. Admittedly, I'm often looking for more "gourmet" ingredients. And that is the problem. If I wanted to find store-brand Velveeta, there would be no problem.

My other option is the Tom Thumb, which is the same as Von's/ Safeway. It is not very close, and I have also had a hard time finding much variety there (ie: a few kinds of pasta, but not the wide selection I could find in the grocery stores in CA). But I end up there more than not.

I have also become acquainted with Sprouts, which has a huge selection of produce, and great produce too, for super-low prices. Since we eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies at our house, I like shopping there. BUT- it is about 15 minutes away, in the opposite direction from the other stores, and I can only get my produce and a few other items.

So I've been left trying to hit two or three stores for our groceries, none of them close, and still I'm often not finding what I'm looking for.
All of this to say, we have for months been driving past a store called "Central Market", which is about 15 minutes away. I had been told it was over-priced and high-end and hadn't managed to get in there yet. What a SHAME.
We decided to go explore this store a few weeks ago, and found we had been missing a gem all along!

First of all, in front of the
entrance are signs that say "Foodie Crossing," and we knew that was a good sign. :) Secondly, we entered into the produce department, which is self-contained and semi-refrigerated. Also happy. The prices were a little high, but they had produce I haven't seen anywhere else in Texas, so I was delighted. Now if I want to find tri-colored heirloom tomatoes, I know where to go!

Among the aisles, we found bulk nuts, beans, and grains of many varieties. Yellow lentils! Organic red quinoa! And in bulk so I can buy just how much I want! Oh happy day! Among the dry goods there were more healthy options, more variety, more "gourmet" ingredients. We even found whole wheat gemelli pasta!
Then we hit the chip aisle and found the "El Milagro" chips our friend Vonna had told us we MUST find when we get to Texas. In the soda aisle, there was the Hank's Root beer and the Hawaiian Pineapple Soda we used to get at our favorite soda ship in Pasadena! Woohoo! There was a huge cheese counter with gourmet cheeses, and so so so so much more.




Just when we thought it couldn't get better, we rounded the corner to find the cafe, where you can order a scrumptious meal or snack and get a gourmet soda from the soda fountain or a gellato from the gelatto counter, then sit outside and let the kids play in the huge, beautiful play area (with slides and climbing toys of course). Or you can take a cooking class together in the back room. *sigh*

We were delighted with our find, and though I won't be able to go do ALL my shopping there, I will know where to go when I need unique ingredients or just need a smile. It is good to know there are other foodies in the area too.



Also, we bought a jar of Nutella while at Central Market, and had some on graham crackers the next day for snack.
The kids LOVED it, and Scotty turned the snack into a full-body experience.

1 comments:

kimi said...

my favorite breakfast... waffle, nuttella schmere, sliced bananas. you'll love it.