Thursday, August 09, 2007

(Parents) Shaken, (Baby) not Stirred

Last night at 1 am, Greg and I were awakened with a start so we could experience our first earthquake together! We've been in them seperately, but in six years hadn't gotten to enjoy one together. Like a good boy, Greg jumped right out of bed and went to the doorway. I laid in bed, daring the earthquake to get serious enough to really make me leave my cozy bed. It never did. It did last a while though, one of those with a big shake to start and then a minute of rolling shakes. A little startling when it wakes you up, but overall I think they're kind of fun (this is, of course, because I didn't move here until the year after the big Northridge quake. Anyone who was here for that does not find earthquakes entertaining).

Since it was powerful enough to wake us up, I was hoping maybe it was centered a little ways away and big enough to be on the news in the morning. Turns out it was centered nearby (Chatsworth- a valley or two away from here) and not big enough to really be newsworthy (it was a 4.5). The news this morning was reporting that 2 ceiling tiles in a grocery store fell down. Good grief.

Thankfully, not a thing in the house moved or even tipped over. Addie didn't even realize she'd been in her first earthquake. At least if we're going to be awakened in the middle of the night, it was by something new and interesting!

3 comments:

kimi said...

SO COOL! I know, I just don't get it. but the one I was in was just plain cool. God is SO COOL!

The Spaids said...

I would not call being woken up by an earthquake "something new and interesting". I was at work when the 7.0 one hit downtown Seattle, 12 stories up, and I seriously thought our skyscraper was going to wobble over. Crazy Californians! =)

DellaRose said...

very witty title....points for you!