Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Passion Week: Tuesday

Welcome to Tuesday on Easter Mountain!
This morning we discovered that the fig tree Jesus cursed yesterday had withered!
Then we read about how Jesus, back in the temple, taught the people and ANGERED the religious leaders. Addie and I talked about one of the many things he taught that day: the greatest commandment. "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.... and the second is like it; you shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Last night Greg and I listened to a message by one of our old college professors, Doug Bookman, in which he explained how much Jesus' teaching went against the Sadducees and Pharisees. He asked the question, "given Sunday (the triumphal entry with crowds praising Jesus), why Friday (the same crowd calling for his crucifixion)? His answer was "Monday & Tuesday." Jesus' statements on this day intentionally incited the leaders to the point of murderous planning.
And those leaders found their way. Today we also learned about Judas betraying Jesus for thirty pieces of silver.
On a side note, I had to tell you what fun we had at dinner last night. I was going to Trader Joe's yesterday anyway, and since Addie and I had been discussing figs yesterday, I thought it would be fun to get some so we could all try them! I found some dried figs and a recipe online for "Pork with Lemon, Fig & Ginger Compote." It was deeeelicious and so fun to incorporate something we had been learning about into our dinner!

Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

kimi said...

I always have fig jam (from the deli) with my cheese plate when we have a party... man I need to do that again, that and almonds would make a very delicious and decadent dinner!