Saturday, April 28, 2007

Artichokes

We tried artichokes for the first time a few days ago.

We decided they were kinda symbolic of our whole day.
If you like these things, can you please explain to us WHY? What a bunch of work for something so... blah. Why? When you can enjoy a nice bunch of asparagus instead with so much less work? The darn things stuck me when I was buying them at the store with their horrid pointy little tips. I should've known then and put them back. Instead I spent way to much time preparing them, preparing the butter sauce, only to spend HOURS trying to eat the darn thing and getting butter stains on my shirt in the meantime. It wasn't even that good!


Yes, the artichokes came on a bad day. We have been trying to switch Addie from two naps to one, but she still won't sleep long enough at the the one nap so she is really tired and whiny by dinner time. And so is mommy.

On that particular day, Addie also didn't have a fast enough reaction time when one of the neighborhood kids came cruising along on his bike. So down she went. I watched it all in slow motion, to far away to get there in time. Of course. Isn't that how it always happens?
She got a little bit of a fat lip and a scrape on her chin. Not bad actually.


We decided this was an Alexander day.
This is a phrase my mom and I have used for years, taken from the children's book "Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day".

Even in Australia.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Sally said...

I love that book...Laura & Heather acted out that book through a drama program at church when they were still in elementary school...

kimi said...

MIkayla just read that to me again yesterday. She and I are reading this post together and she would like to know if you are now moving to australia.

sorry about your terrible horrible no good very bad day!

love you guys!

kimi said...

oh and by the way. fresh asparagus is better 100 times over than artichokes. artichokes are good but a TOTAL pain for not much gain. just go buy marinated artichoke hearts at the dag gone store! It's the only part that's super yummy.

Unknown said...

but unmarinated artichoke hearts are yummier!