Saturday, September 20, 2008

God Cares About Bargains

Some of you may not know, but my drug of choice is bargain hunting. Garage sales. Ebay. Thrift stores. I love the thrill of the hunt, the ecstasy of finding just the thing you wanted for a great price.... I could go on for quite awhile. I actually don't like regular shopping. To me, paying full price is just no fun. But I will wake up on my own at 6:30 on a Saturday morning without an alarm to go garage sale-ing.

I find bargain hunting especially fun when there is something specific I am looking for. Maybe it's some new summer shirts, or black shoes for Addie in the next size up... but for the past several weeks it has been a Fisher Price Little People House. After re-assessing the toy situation around our home and realizing that Addie was needing some older kid toys, I decided that to fully maximize the other little people sets she had, and to begin my subversive mind programming in her toward being a Titus 2 "worker at home", a Little People house was the perfect toy.

So I hit the yard sales, I watched them on ebay. I was shocked to realize that these stinkin' toys are almost impossible to find locally and they sell for over $25 on ebay because of the shipping! I checked Craig's List here, in Seattle, and Phoenix. I hit garage sales for weeks. I went down to the valley to the biggest thrift store I know. Last weekend there was a children's consignment sale and I was there as soon as they opened looking for that Fisher Price Little People House. No luck. I have to admit, I felt a little silly about it, but I actually prayed for a house.

And then I got another reminder that God gives abundantly beyond all we can ask or think. I can't help but laugh to report that yesterday, at a big consignment sale, I found a house, for $12.50. I was soooooo excited. This morning Addie and I went to a church rummage sale just for kicks, and there, in the back corner, was a second house. For $2.00. I almost peed myself. So now we don't just have a house, we have a neighborhood. Isn't God fantastic?



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

The Williams Five said...

That is so cool! Don't you love it when God doesn't just answer your prayer, but He goes way beyond what you wanted?! I hope Addie loves her new little people neighborhood.

DellaRose said...

yea! for God is pleased in delighting us :)

you hoped in Him for a "house" and you were not put to shame in your hope...i think this is straight from Psalm 119:114,116

i think this is part of what makes him the best lover ever...if you hadn't asked him for it...you wouldn't have seen that it was Him who put them their just for you :) and the best part is that Abby is growing up in a house of faith and watching God provide for not just basic needs but desires as well...just to make you both smile