Sunday, September 14, 2008

Imaginary Friends

Did you have an imaginary friend as a child? My bet is, if you said yes, you are an oldest child.

I knew going into this marriage that my woderful husband had an imaginary friend as a child, and I learned to embrace Skippy the Dog Boy and the boy who invented him.

What I did not bargain for, was Addie inventing someone yesterday named "Dukilow" (pronounced Dookie-low) and carrying on conversations with them. Ur, him... I think it's a him. Talking with him, pausing in conversation for his input. Wanting to call him on the phone!

I was then informed by Brooke, also an oldest (though I have forgiven her for it) that she had an imaginary friend too! So I'm beginning to think this is an only child thing. I feel kinda bad for you only children who have to make up your friends, but really? I think it's kinda wierd.

6 comments:

Mom Linda said...

As an older child, I can weigh in on this question. I did not have an imaginary friend. I only had b-r-o-t-h-e-r-s, who kept my life so busy that I had no need for an imaginary friend.

The Spaids said...

I am an oldest child, and I tried to have one like my other friends, and I couldn't do it. I KNEW they were imaginary, and I thought they were lame - same with when pet rocks were in vogue about 3rd grade. I liked to decorate them, and then that was it. Tyler, on the other hand, had 4 (yes, 4) imaginary friends. 1) Hooserhisercuzhose Spaid, 2) Menunia, 3) Petunia, 4) Porcupine. 2-4 were friends with each other and all together. 1 was all alone. Maggie had not yet developed an imaginary friend. PTL!

Amy said...

it's not weird...it's imaginative!

btw, i did have an imaginary friend as a child and i'm the oldest, but my two younger sisters also had them. so i don't think you can fit us into your neat little box. :)

Becky Frame said...

My oldest has an imaginary friend, but his little brother doesn't. So maybe it's not a *uniVERsal* box, but I do believe it's a definable trend.

James's imaginary friend is Rico. Rico just became a little else imaginary when we made him a Mii on the Wii. Now we even know what he looks like!

heidi said...

As an oldest child I did have 2 imaginary friends; Dee Dee and Cobey. But you know my siblings...maybe that explains why I needed them!
The problem with your theory is that Krista also had an imaginary pet worm named Slimey. She however stole the pet from Seasame Street!

Tony & Kirsten said...

Wow! Love all the comments on this topic. Fascinating! No I.F. for me (youngest), but Tony (oldest) had 3 - Obed, Tino, and Baba Rain. ??? Caleb (our oldest) had an I.F., but he insisted that he didn't have a name. Ali sort-of has an I.F., "Mirror-y," who she meets in the bathroom and in various reflective surfaces.