Friday, November 14, 2008

Tony Stanza

So... we have two cars. One that I drive mostly, and one that Greg drives to work and back, which is a very short drive. That short drive is why Greg's car, an 18 year old beauty named Tony Stanza, has survived as long as it has. Tony is a special car, kind of like an ugly dog. No one out of the family would like it much, but if you know it, and it's part of your family, you love it.

It's the car Greg drove when we were dating, and every time I ride in it I am transported back and riding shotgun next to my boyfriend. It's the car I learned to drive stick on. We love it extra because it just won't die- and that's a great thing for us.

One of Tony's many unique qualities is that it makes a really loud, shrill squeek when it turns a corner in first gear. Sure, it's embarassing when you're driving it, and as the squeek has gotten louder lately, Greg's reported many a funny look or gesture. But Addie and I have grown to love the squeek, because it's the sound of Greg coming home. As he turns the corner into our driveway and garage, we can hear him from inside. Just yesterday, Addie heard the car and excitedly shouted "Daddy's home!"

Well, Greg decided he was done with the squeek, and sent me this Suessian email today:

The car squeak is gone
this much is true
I learnt how to fix it
from a website or two

They said "look at this"
or "look at that there"
"look for some leakage"
or "a wire that's bare"

the serpentine belt
that is the cause
of the squeaky-squeak sound
that gives bystanders pause

so with a small wrench
I opened the hood
and did what I did
and did what I could

with a turn of the bolt
a dozen times or so
I tightened the belt
then started to go

I turned the brown car
to the left and the right
no noise to be heard
no "check engine" light

the squeak is all gone
I'm sure that you're sad
cause now you can't hear
the car that brings Dad

It made me laugh, and I thought a few of you would enjoy it too!

5 comments:

kimi said...

yet again...

You married well.

Good on ya Greg!

Mom Linda said...

Poor Addie won't know when her Daddy is coming home--but just for a few days. Both of you will learn to know the sound of the engine alone. I can hear Dad's big truck from the time he turns off 196th :-)
How is that BOTH my girls married poets? Love 'em both!
Mom

DellaRose said...

how perfectly pleasing :)

DellaRose said...

no greg, no embarassing squeek and for you a poem

markandjesss said...

Wow, I never knew my brother was so poetic. Another hidden talent. I guess that's the kind of thing you save for the women in your life. Well done Greg.