Sunday, January 03, 2010

Addie Makes A Memory

Addie was asked to be the flower girl in our good friend Erica's wedding on December 19th. We were all so excited! Here is Adds at home, modeling the dress.
The night of the wedding, our dear friend Kellie did her hair. It was Gorgeous!











Now, we all have those childhood moments that live on in family history, and this night was a night Addie will always remember. And if she forgets, her family will always remember it. So will Auntie Erica and Uncle Joe.

See, when Addie has a job to do, she takes it VERY seriously. She will work really hard to do exactly what she thinks is expected of her. And she was all set to be an all star flower girl. Also, it had been a BIG day for us- our dear, dear friends the Myers family moved away to North Carolina and left that afternoon. There were a lot of tears, and emotions were all running ragged. I would like to think that is why the following incident happened:
She started down the aisle with friend Clayton like a pro. I was watching from the back and bursting with pride.







Then, when she was almost to the very front of the church and out of my eyesight, I heard the audience chorteling and laughing a bit, and then I heard it: Addie's TANTRUM cry. A wail, followed by crying. Then I saw Pastor Steve get down off the stage and head for Addie's approximate location. I could NOT figure out what could be going on! Surely, that WAS Addie crying, but WHY would she do that?!?! Steve ushered her to our waiting friend Erin in the front row.

I took Scotty and sneaked up to that front row just as soon as I could! When I got there, Addie was sitting, just fine, coloring. Erin whispered to me that Addie had gotten upset when she ran out of petals. WHEN SHE RAN OUT OF PETALS?! She flipped out for that?! Oh boy! I was mortified! Then, Scotty happily added to my mortification by LOUDLY filling his diaper during the gospel message. Not once, not twice, but three times. A proud mommy evening I will always remember!

Immediately after the wedding, I was dying to talk to Addie and hear more of what happened. She calmly told me she had run out of petals and cried. Then the bridal party told me the rest- she had run out of petals, slung her basket up over her head, and thrown herself face down on the aisle and cried. That's when Steve intervened and got her up and to her seat. God bless Steve.
And look! someone got a picture of it!


Actaully, Greg got video of it, because he was video taping the ceremony, but the church was dark and it is hard to see. Nevertheless, we may post that video clip sometime in the future.

I was feeling mortified still until Greg reminded me that I would be embarrassed for a little while and then feel fine, but Addie would hear about this night for a very long time. You can bet that on her wedding day, we'll be reminding her not to get to the front of the church and throw herself down on the floor and cry.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

The Spaids said...

I am dying here! That story is SO funny. Poor Addie, you are right - she is not going to live that one down!

Tony & Kirsten said...

LOVE IT! And you are so right - your embarrassment should be very short-lived. Everyone loves a moment like that!
Addie will think that story is hilarious when she's 6, but not so much when she's 23.

Scroggins Family said...

Made me laugh all over again! Glad you're not feeling embarrassed anymore now that you realize it will be a funny story to pass down through the years!

DellaRose said...

:) lovin it and loving the prospect of years to come