Friday, July 20, 2007

Produce Experimentation

Last week, Brooke Kropf and I decided to visit the Newhall Farmer's Market. It seemed like something fun and different to do. I must explain that I went for the experience, not really the produce. See, maybe it is due to a naive trust in the US Dept. of Agriculture, but I trust my grocery store produce and have previously looked at all the organic produce hype lately as a waste of money.

Now I understand-- those who market organic produce to the population just hadn't spoken my language yet.
It isn't about pesticide free for me, it's about FLAVOR!!!

At the aforementioned market, Brooke and I sampled some of the tastiest nectarines I've had in years and some heirloom tomatoes that I'm still fantasizing about. There are no words to describe the tasty goodness... I will stop now, but could go on and on. I bought a few nectarines and some corn on the cob. We ate the corn at dinner that night and I told Greg it was like I was alone with the corn in the room, holding hands and spinning round and round, all other things were a blur.

See? I'm a little crazy about good food.

So I went back to the market this week and took Greg with me. Here is what we bought:


AREN'T THEY GORGEOUS?!?!?!
1 avocado
4 tomatoes (one of which is a darkish red-green, fully ripe- can't wait to try it!!!)
6 peaches
1 apple
3 nectarines
5 assorted squash
and some BEETS!
(I am most excited about those because we just picked them out b/c they look interesting.
I have never cooked beets before, so it will really be an adventure).

I plan to make the beets tonight to go with some grilled pork chops and make a tomato salad too!

Later this week I'm going to make a peach pie, and experiment a bit with the squash too!

Maybe you didn't know yet that I get really excited about my food. I do. My mouth is watering just thinking about it all. It's a good thing Greg is such a good eater. I used to call him the goat-man because he'll eat anything (almost). Thank goodness!

We will keep you posted on the status of the produce experiments this week. I know you're on the edge of your seats.


Incidentally, we are making Addie start to pull her weight around here. No more freeloading!
Here she is carrying in the beets...

and trying to give up and leave them outside.

Let's hope this isn't a precursor for her attitude toward eating them.


Posted by Picasa

1 comments:

findsara said...

Niki--I noticed you posted a picture of Liz a couple days ago. Do you know how I could contact her? I haven't seen her since her wedding! Sara