Thursday, January 08, 2009

It Makes it All Worth It

We had a really great visit to the doctor today! I was nervous about the appointment because I can barely sit up, let alone get to the car, ride for 40 minutes, get into the doctor's office, etc. And yes, I felt pretty crummy and I dry heaved plenty. I had to wait in a back room because I couldn't do the waiting room, but once we saw the doctor it was aaaaallll worth it!

The doctor was extremely compassionate and kind, even putting off some tests that are normally done now but can wait 'till later in the pregnancy when I might feel better. He said some very encouraging things, like that since taking my prenatal vitamins make me feel worse, I was doing the best thing NOT to take them because we don't want me in the hospital. It was so nice to hear because I feel guilty about eating so poorly and not taking the prenatals, like I'm not giving our kiddo the best, so to be told I was doing the very best thing was really nice to hear. It probably sounds silly to you guys but trust me, it was music to my ears.

We also talked about another drug for the nausea that might help, but decided to wait 2 more weeks until I'm into the second trimester when it is a little safer to take. He let that be my decision and I wanted to stick it out and wait the two more weeks to play it safe.

AND THEN came the good part! Even though he was running behind and didn't have to at all, he did another ultrasound just for kicks (and encouragement really). We got not just a look at the baby, but 15 minutes of watching the baby! We couldn't believe how much the baby has grown since four weeks ago when it just looked like a little bean. Now it's a BABY! We saw it's tummy and it's toes. We heard and watched it's heart beating away. We saw it just chilling out and floating and moving it's arms and legs. And that bold little thing also clearly flashed us!
The doctor asked if we wanted a gender guesstimate and I was shocked he would even offer at 10 weeks, but the baby gave us a CLEAR shot of two legs and a third appendage. The doctor was careful to tell us that it is too early to be certain and that they have had "tricksters" before, but it appears at this point to be a boy! Now, we are totally excited either way. I'm thrilled it is a boy (I really think it is), but if it turns out later to be a girl, that's GREAT too. For now, we are calling him "he."








































I couldn't believe how helpful that time seeing the baby was. I was in tears watching him move on the ultrasound and wondering away at our Creator. It really gave me the encouragement that this is all worth it and we will have a wonderful new person in our family soon. All the good parts at the end of this junk became really real for the first time. What a huge blessing it was to see him and to have a doctor who was caring enough to do that for us. What a great doctor's visit.

7 comments:

Nate Murray said...

YAY ! A (probable) boy!!! Now Jacob can have a star-spanglered buddy.

Sarah said...

Oh, I'm so happy for you! I can imagine it must get very discouraging being so sick day after day - such a blessing to see "him" happy and growing! Definitely a worthwhile reason to keep going each day. :)

Kristin said...

What a great report! Thanks for sharing! And what exciting news that a Spangler boy may be in the making! Praise the Lord for the miracle of life that He is creating. I miss seeing you!

Kristin

Carl, Melitsa & Aiden said...

Look at those pictures!! So precious! I love the "leg" "not a leg" "leg"... made me smile!
I hope that in a few weeks you will be feeling much better!

Matto and Kafrum said...

Wow! This is a really clear ultrasound. Is this a regular ultrasound? I would think 4D if not for the color. Congratulations!!

Kempiz said...

Boy O Boy (pun intended), Ezra, Joziah, and Ty will all be very happy to welcome a new boy to the Courtyard! By the way, if you need clothes, PLEASE let me know, I have plenty! So happy to hear what an encouraging time your doc's appt. was. Great ultrasound pic, too!

The Kaemingk's said...

Fantastic! Can't wait to meet him ;)