Friday, January 11, 2008

Epicurean Adventures

A popular subject around our house is food. In fact, it's miraculous that Greg and I aren't much larger in size, the way we like to eat!
And as most of you read about in our Christmas posts, Greg spent the holidays reading through Alton Brown's books on cooking and baking. This just wet the appetite all the more for experimenting with and eating more food. You never have to encourage me, and now that Greg is curious too, well...

So last Saturday Greg decided he'd like to try making some rolls. He used the bread machine- don't be THAT impressed, but still. I decided I have won the husband lottery, being that my husband wanted to use a Saturday to bake. I mean really.

So here are the rolls. They looked beautiful, they tasted terrific!


















Then a few days later I tried a new recipe from my most recent "Simple and Delicious" magazine. Before I tell about the wonderful meal, we have to have a sidebar here. If you are the main cook in your family, or have to cook at all really, I would highly recommend a subscription to this magazine! It is the secret of my cooking success! Every two months a new issue is delivered. It is full of great recipes from cooks all over Northern America. They send in the recipes, the magazine's Home Economists try them out (yeah home economists!!!), then they print the good ones. Because professionals test them first, the recipes are well written and easy to understand. This is key for cooking success! They are also the BEST- do you hear me?- the BEST recipes ever. And with a new magazine arriving every two months, I always have lots of new things to make and try. We have rarely been disappointed. And all for $20 a year (or $30 for two years)- you can't beat it. Just go to tasteofhome.com and sign-up! You won't regret it!

So this week was no exception in our continuing delight with Simple and Delicious. On page 10 they had a recipe for "Saucy Mushroom Chicken" from Aline Eyre of Sarnia, Ontario. I thought it looked pretty good, worth a try.
Well, Aline Eyre, you have got some skills. This was some gooooood chicken.
It was saucy, garlicky, mushroomy yumminess!
Served over mashed potatoes and accompanied by the lemon-pepper green beans from page 16.... it was delish! (this isn't bragging because I take no credit. Now, if I had invented this "Saucy Mushroom Chicken," then I would be bragging- but I would deserve it).

Is your mouth watering yet?
In a grand tradition inspired by our friends Ron & Joan, Greg applauded the meal. (Joan once told me that Ron had liked a dinner so much he stood up from the table and applauded. We thought it was so great that now Greg does it too).










So.... do you want the recipe? Well, here it is!





Saucy Mushroom Chicken (which should really be called "So Scrupmty You'll Faint Chicken")

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 oz. each)
1 teaspoon each onion powder, paprika, dried basil, oregano & thyme
1 teaspoon each salt & pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 teaspoons minced garlic
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Step 1. Flatten chicken to 1/2 in. thickness. Combine the seasonings; sprinkle 2 tablespoons over both sides of the chicken.

Step 2. In a large skillet, cook chicken in 1 tablespoon oil in batches over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until juices run clear. Remove and keep warm.

Step 3. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, garlic, and remaining seasoning mixture in remaining oil until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and wine or additional broth and cream. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.

Step 4. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Serve with mashed potatoes if desired.

Yield: 6 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes

Hope you all enjoy it! If you make this, let us know how you liked it!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Carl, Melitsa & Aiden said...

what a good man that you married... I love my man dearly, but he doesn't enjoy cooking at all! Sigh!
I never renewed my subsription to "Simple and Delicious" before we moved out here. I need to do that again, because they have wonderful recipes and I can often make them gluten free :)

Matto and Kafrum said...

Well helloooooooo. I see you and have added you to my own blog. I sit here with a baby in my lap because he won't be quiet any other way (no he is not mine, but one of the 6 that I am babysitting in the nursery at the hospital I work at.) Very cool to find you. And your fam looks wonderful. Who woulda thunk it sitting in the living room of the apartment in Canyon Country, 7 years ago, discussing your first date with Greg. Huh! Congrats on y'all's beautiful daughter!
Katherine Hogan

Jason & Heather said...

Hey There - I just saw your comment today...great to hear from you! I've been so busy trying to get the spring line up & the website reorganized (to sell directly off it). Your daughter is darling! I remember slightly the whole Price is Right deal in college :) But I really remember when you went to that hair expo thing.
Let me add you to my blog so I can keep up with ya!
Heather