Saturday, April 05, 2008

A Younger and More Appealing Option

So, I must confess, I have neglected this blog this week because I ran off and fell in love with a younger, more exciting option for online communication. Facebook people. It sucked me in. BUT I am back, and will not forsake the blog completely. I promise. But I do still love Facebook.

See, for many years I have loved to think about Heaven, and have been growing continually more excited about my eternity there. (I know, some of you are saying "what is she talking about here?" but bear with me). And Facebook gave me a little taste of heaven this week, which was pretty stinkin' exciting to me. Let me explain....

God has blessed me with the chance to know some really amazing people. A lot of them I met in college. Some before that, some after. But I had lost touch with some of said people, and that was sad. One in particular I had tried to find on numerous occassions, but to no avail. I thought about this friend from time to time, and missed her.

Then, on Thursday, I found her on facebook. Let me introduce you to Becky Casey (who is probably a little embarrased that I'm posting about her right now).
Becky and I became friends right away in our freshman year at Masters. I loved being around her because her love for the Lord was genuine and infectious. We giggled and moaned about boys and acted silly together and I especially remember walking to class with Becky and my other friend Becky (what can I say? It was a popular name in the late 70's) and listening to them talk about heaven. I hadn't thought about the concept much before their talks, and it was there my love for heaven began.
Anyway, I went to Phoenix for the first time to spend an Easter with Becky. It was there I made a pie for the first time. I still use her step-mom's pie crust recipe! We also went to the Grand Canyon that trip.











Who knew later in life I'd make so many trips to Phoenix? Every time we go, I think of Becky! I spent a Thanksgiving there with her family one year too.

I had great memories with Becky, but after graduation, we lost touch. And then when I tried to find her not long after, I couldn't!

What I wanted to tell her was who I married, because Becky knew Greg long before I did. They even rode with a group together all the way to Phoenix one school break! I knew it would floor her that I married him since she dissapeared long before we ever started dating.

And Thursday night, when we talked on the phone, I got to tell her. And man, it was fun!

Anyway, I've connected with friends from college, old roomates, even friends from highschool. They are all over the country and some all over the world. What a great week!

So what does all this have to do with Heaven? Well, reuniting with all these old friends and rejoicing to hear that they are loving and serving the Lord has been really great. And I can't help but think, if it's this much fun now, how great will it be when I'm reuniting with all my saved loved ones for eternity? It sure gives me something to look forward to!






4 comments:

The Bird Nest said...

Lurker no more...I'm officially a commenter! Good to see you at the conference and catch up a little bit. Glad you are finding old friends via internet.

The Spaids said...

I too love Facebook. But, blogging is really fun, at least for me. Don't make me delete you link from my blog - keep it updated! Love ya!

The Kaemingk's said...

Ahhh ... another glorious connection made possible by the world wide wed ;)

Tony & Kirsten said...

Ooh, ooh, I have to send my own hello to Becki! I was just thinking of her tonight, while watching the Championship basketball game. I'll wait for a response to tell you why...